Last Will and Testament Attorney in Plano, TX
Estate Planning Attorney John F. Williams, Jr. can Prepare Your Last Will and Testament
Last Will and Testament is a legal document that provides the foundation of your estate plan. If you do not have a Will then consider the following reasons you should consider having a knowledgeable Estate Planning Attorney prepare your Will:
- If you have assets
- If you have children
- If you want certain people to receive your estate
- If youre in a second marriage
- If you want to make sure certain people dont attain assets
These are just a few of the reasons you should consider making a Will. As an experienced estate planning attorney I realize that there is not anything glamorous in creating a Will. Neglecting to create a Will ensures that at your passing any decisions in regards to your affairs will be determined by a judge. The judge does not know your wishes or your heirs. If a person passes without a Will and still has assets in their name, it is almost certain the estate will go through Probate. The financial costs are not cheap.
Important Elements in Your Will
A properly drafted Last Will and Testament should cover four key areas to make the Will effective:
1. Appointing the person who is in charge of administering your estate. Commonly referred to as the Executor
2. Designating the powers or limitations the Executor will have
3. Naming the people who you want to inherit your property
4. Providing instruction as to how your property will ultimately be distributed to your heirs
On a final note, if you are single or the surviving spouse and have minor children, you will need to appoint a Guardian for your children. This ensures your wishes in the event that you pass before the children reach adult age. I am sure you love your children more than you love the state of Texas, so do not leave their welfare to a judge which has no idea who is qualified to raise your children. Naming someone is better than naming no one at all.
If you have other questions regarding Wills, Estate Planning, or Powers of Attorney, please contact the Law Offices of John F. Williams, Jr. today. Call today for your Free Consultation and I look forward to serving your needs.