Request more info

Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch.

Estate Planning
Probate & Administration
Wills & Trusts
Business Planning
Parkway Commons Building
5068 W. Plano Parkway, Suite 300
Plano, TX 75093
Granite Park II Office Center
5700 Granite Parkway Suite 200
Plano, TX 75024

Guardianship Attorney in Plano, TX

The Law Offices of John F. Williams, Jr. Handle Guardianship Issues for Your Family

Guardianship Attorney in Plano, TXGuardianship is a legal issue most people do not think about except when dealing with minor children. As an experienced Estate Planning Attorney, I can assure you that appointing guardians for your children through your Will or Living Trust is important. It is equally important to make sure that your family, including your parents, have current powers of attorney. This prevents petitioning the Court for guardianship of your parent’s person or estate and even that of an adult child.

Guardianship for Special Needs

If you have an adult child who is physically and mentally unable to take care of themselves, you need to create a guardianship as soon as you can. You may be your child’s parent, but once they reach adult age the State of Texas needs to know that someone is legally acting on behalf of the child. The only way to do this is to be appointed as the guardian. When I do estate planning for families that have special needs children guardianship is one of the first issues we address.

Guardianship for Your Parents

As our aging population increases, more and more families have been forced to help their parents with living and finances. This is fine until your mother and father can no longer make decisions. If they created proper powers of attorney, then there should be no need for guardianship issues. But if the powers of attorney do not have the right language in them or if there are not a power of attorney, you may be forced to seek court appointed guardianship. This means you will need the help of a knowledgeable estate planning attorney to assist in getting you qualified to act on your parent’s behalf.

If you have other questions regarding Guardianship, Wills, Estate Planning, or Powers of Attorney, please contact the Law Offices of John F. Williams, Jr. today. Call today for your Free Consultation and I look forward to serving your needs.